After the pause necessitated by the pandemic, the Gaztemundu program organized by the Directorate for the Basque Community Abroad at the Basque Government is back, offering any Basque descendant registered at a Basque Center the opportunity to come to the land of their forebears.
This year’s program will offer 20 young people a stay in the Basque Country between December 4, when they arrive, and December 20, when they go home.
The goal of this year’s program is to give an overview of today’s Basque Country, connecting it with its historical evolution and cultural tradition, through visits and training activities at places that are meaningful in that way.
The conditions to be able to take part in this program are to:
- Be aged 18–30 on January 1, 2022.
- Reside outside the Basque Autonomous Community.
- Have been a member of any official recognized Basque Center that is on the Basque Center registry for at least three years when the offer is published.
- Have not been a beneficiary of the Gaztemundu program since its inception in 2003.
- Record a 3-minute-long video in which the candidate explains their vision of the Basque Diaspora, providing a proposal to strengthen it, and argue why the candidate is appropriate for taking part in Gaztemundu 2022.
To get to know the details better, consult the resolution that was published on August 9th in the Basque Country’s Official Gazette. There, you will also find a request form that must be handed in no later than midnight on September 12, Bilbao time.
If you are part of the Basque Diaspora and would like to participate in this program, but are not a member of a Basque Center, then find the closest one to you and join!
Header photo: Gaztemundu 2018 image during their visit to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe
Last Updated on Aug 28, 2022 by About Basque Country