On September 6, an announcement was published in the Official Gazette of the Basque Country to open registration for Gaztemundu 2023. This program, which we’ve spoken about before and which is organized by the Directorate for the Basque Community Abroad at the Basque Government, is aimed at young Basque men and women aged 18 to 35 who live outside the Basque Country itself.
Gaztemundu 2023 offers up to 15 people the chance to come and stay in the Basque Country December 11–21, 2023 as a way of learning about our current reality, financed by the General Administration of the Basque Autonomous Community. During their stay, the travelers will be able to participate in workshops, debate forums, and the cultural, institutional, and sightseeing visits that will be organized.
The deadline is coming up fast, so anyone hoping to take part in this amazing experience is still in time, if just. Be sure to sign up before the October 7th deadline.
How to Take Part
The conditions for taking part are as follows:
- Be aged 18 to 35 as of January 1, 2023.
- Reside outside the territory of the Basque Autonomous Community.
- Be a member, for at least three years at the time registration opened, at one of the officially recognized Basque Centers which are on the official Basque Center Registry.
- Not have participated in a Gaztemundu program since its inception in 2003.
- Sending a brief synopsis or introduction, 15 lines at most, and a video, 2 minutes at most, for the candidate to make their introduction (in the synopsis) and further develop (in the video) a proposal on cultural management, in the broad sense of the term.
All the details can be found on the official Basque Government website (in Spanish or Basque).
This is a can’t-miss opportunity. So, if you are part of the Basque diaspora, and you’d like to take part but aren’t a member of a Basque Center, it’s not too late to sign up to your nearest one now! Here’s a list of all the Basque Centers recognized by the Basque Government.
Header photo: The participants of last year’s Gaztemundu program at the Meeting House in Guernica (photo by the Basque General Assembly)
Last Updated on Dec 3, 2023 by About Basque Country